Senior Application Developer
(Ph.D. History, SUNY Buffalo, 2003; M.A. History, Clemson University, 1997)
David Furber is a Senior Application Developer for GORGES. David enjoys learning the diverse business requirements of GORGES clients and building software solutions with a focus on usability.
David’s areas of expertise include:
- Full-stack web development with Ruby on Rails, Drupal, and the Yii PHP framework
- Highly interactive user interfaces with React and Angular - such as mobile apps, touchscreen kiosks, and data visualization
- Mobile apps using Cordova - using web technologies to make true mobile apps
- Database architecture - either starting from scratch or a pre-existing database, as well as interfacing with external data sources such as SAP/BW.
- Workflow management - figuring out your process and making your software fit your process
- Optimization - making code simpler, making database queries more efficient, making time and machine-intensive operations run faster
David first learned to program on TRS-80 computers as a child in the early 80s. After completing a PhD in history in 2003, he returned to the fold as GORGES’ first employee. Outside of work, David is a trustee of The History Center in Tompkins County.